Biology Senior Scientist/Technical Leader
Hours: 40 hours per week
Ref No: HRJOB3646/2
Business Unit: Discovery
Open To: Internal and External applicants may apply
Almac is an exceptional, award winning, drug development solutions provider at the forefront of the pharmaceutical industry. We are a privately owned organisation that has organically grown over 50 years now employing almost 5,000 highly skilled personnel worldwide. Our Global headquarters is located in Craigavon, Northern Ireland with additional operations throughout Europe (UK, Ireland), across the US (Pennsylvania, North Carolina and California) and in Asia (Singapore and Japan).
Our drive and passion for the values championed by our Founder, and enshrined in the ethos of Almac, ensures that ‘Partnering to Advance Human Health’ is more than just a strapline – it is our way of life.
Advancing human health requires exceptional people – your talent, experience and passion will be the perfect match. Together we will make an exceptional difference to the health of countless patients all over the world ………and this is just the beginning.
Let’s be exceptional together
Working as part of the Almac Discovery, Biology team based in Belfast, you will be involved in vitro assay development, screening, follow-up studies including orthogonal validation and subsequent profiling in relevant cancer cellular models. You will be involved in detailed mechanism of action studies for these new inhibitors, the interpretation and presentation of key findings as well as the proposal and initiation of appropriate activities to ensure improved characterization of these compounds. The successful candidate will be expected to establish best practises within the laboratory and work independently on several concurrent projects in a fast-paced, goal oriented environment.
Please note that we will be recruiting at either the Senior Scientist or Technical Leader role. Candidates will be assessed against the level of the role that is demonstrated on CVs and we would encourage you to fully demonstrate how you meet the criteria required.
This is a significant opportunity to play a central role in the further development of Almac Discovery as an innovative and successful biotechnology company. The successful candidate will work in state of the art facilities within the vibrant and fast growing Queen’s University Life-Science campus. Preference will be given to an individual thriving in a highly collaborative environment and with outstanding motivation, analytical and strategic thinking and a high level of scientific commitment and work ethics.
- PhD in biochemistry, enzymology, molecular and/or cancer biology, or another relevant life science discipline.
- Significant work experience in the field of biochemistry, enzymology and/or molecular biology.
- Strong scientific background and extensive hands-on experience in in vitro assay development and compound collection screening (i.e hit finding and validation incl. fragments) applying multiple assay technologies and spectroscopic detection methods.
- Experimental knowledge and track record of setting up disease biology experimental platforms (in vitro, cellular) for compound profiling and target validation strategies (cell-based cancer models).
Desirable Criteria(The following criteria may be applied if a large pool of applicants exist)
- Postdoctoral experience in biochemistry, enzymology, and/or cancer biology or another relevant discipline.
- Broad knowledge and experience in key areas of tumor biology including ubiquitin biology & ubiquitination processes as well as oncogenic signaling or immuno-oncology are also of interest
- Prior experience in biophysical techniques incl. SPR / NMR / MS would be considered advantageous.
Additional essential and desirable criteria are outlined in the job description and person specification attached to the online job posting
- Competitive salary
- Family friendly flexible working
- Learning and development opportunities and support
- Health promotions
- Enhanced pension contribution
- Long service awards
- 34 days annual leave allowance
- Marriage leave
- Free car parking
- Moving house leave
- Subsidised restaurant
- Paid medical appointments
- Childcare vouchers (including early return bonus)
- Occupational sick pay
- Enhanced maternity pay
- On site physiotherapist
- Critical illness policy
- Perks discount scheme
- Death in service benefit
- Westfield health benefit
(Full detail including eligibility criteria is outlined in the company handbook)
Apply online at www.almacgroup.com/careers
20th September 2018 at 10.00 hours